Teaching Toddlers the love of Montessori one step at a time. Montessori School of Kleinburg (MSK) is excited to open up the MSK Toddler Program (ages 18 months to 30 months).
We aim to deliver a well rounded learning experience for these youngsters that will begin their education within a nurturing, scenic and academically rich environment.
The focus of MSK’s Toddler program is building upon the key developmental areas namely:
- Sensory development
- Self-help skills
- Physical development and motor skills
- Social and emotional growth.
This is all done with the aid of Montessori materials when possible as directed by teachers when needed.
The Montessori Toddler classroom will be made up mostly of Practical Life materials, with many “pre-Montessori” materials that are typically used with this age group even in non-Montessori settings; puzzles, stringing beads, etc.
Cultural lessons are generally included in the Language part of the classroom; this would include learning about weather, the calendar, sharing stories, specialty classes and basic names of objects in the classroom (vocabulary enrichment) and in nature. Typically this is covered during morning and afternoon circles.
What is the MSK Montessori Toddler Program all about?
The classroom has been carefully designed and equipped with furnishings and creative playthings to address the particular needs of the Toddlers. Each day provides a balance of quiet and active growth oriented activities, as well as time for eating, snacking, napping and outdoor play. Some activities take place in groups, while others are individual.
The Toddler classrooms are filled with busy workers. The Montessori School of Kleinburg uses the energy of your toddler and directs it in a positive way for learning and discovery. Teachers are active and fun, and keep children engaged in projects and hands-on activities throughout the day. Our teachers form bonds with each child to establish a strong sense of security to make the transition from home to school smooth. Your toddler gains self-confidence and goes about his or her day independently with guidance as needed by teachers. With lots of opportunities for play and learning, your toddler will enjoy the exciting, safe and healthy atmosphere we provide daily.
In the Toddler program, our teachers work in partnership with parents to accomplish goals like toilet training and self-comforting. We promote the “I’m a big kid” mentality and give toddlers challenges that enable them to succeed and grow. We often give toddlers small jobs and acknowledge them for helping. At Montessori School of Kleinburg we focus your child’s day on accomplishments rather than failures and praise good behaviour encouraging children to make good choices even at such a young age. Our Toddler classroom provides a clean and safe learning environment with age appropriate Montessori materials and equipment. Materials are rotated on a regular basis to allow children to master a skill and move on to more challenging ones.
Guided learning, exploring and interacting will allow the MSK Toddler teachers to truly “help them do it by themselves.” Toddlers at MSK will enjoy a perfect mix of both indoor and outdoor activity.
What does a “typical day” look like for MSK toddlers?
- 8:00 to 9:00 AM– Have toddlers arrive ready for outdoor play and they can be dropped off in the vestibule. By 9:00 a.m., when settled in the classroom, morning snack will be offered.
- 9:00 to 9:30 AM – Toileting/diapering/short circle
- 9:30 to 11:00 AM – Work and Fun time. Toddler diapers are re-checked and changed accordingly, toddlers whose diapers are dry are encouraged to use the toilet.
- 11:30 AM – Lunch-time
- 12:00 PM – Children wash up, diapers are changed, and use of toilet is encouraged. Teachers set up cots for rest time.
- 2:00 PM – Children slowly wake from rest and use the toilet/diapers changed. Children wash hands and a healthy snack is served.
- 2:00 to 3:30 PM – Work time and end of the day circle.
- 3:30 to 4:00 PM – Outdoor fun and pick up.